Monday, April 13, 2009

Is IQ all there is to it?

Sam Knight of Financial Times wrote about Marilyn vos Savant, who has a recorded IQ of 228:

There is only one question that seems the wrong thing to ask Savant, and that is what else she is supposed to have done with her life, with her glimmering brain. To ask it is to miss the point. I told her when we met that I had always imagined intelligence to be nothing more than a tool. On that foggy afternoon, before we said goodbye, she wanted to correct me. “I suppose it could be and it should be,” she said. “But it also seems to be an attribute or a quality or an aspect of one’s humanity that one need not use to get something that you want … It can just simply be part of you. And I think that’s fine too.”


There's wisdom in that.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Archive